*Disclaimer: This is not meant to serve as a substitute for veterinary advice. We believe firmly in the contents of this article thanks to thorough research and our experiences with all of the dogs that we have helped through the years (including our own), but you should always defer to your veterinarian when adding anything to your dog's unique wellness routine.
If you’ve ever considered using CBD products for your dog, you already know how promising the benefits of CBD can be for your dog. After all, we all want the best for our dogs in need, but what does the science say about using CBD to help with some of the ailments your dog faces? Short answer: CBD can absolutely be a valuable part of your dog’s wellness routine! In the rest of this article, we’ll break down the extensive scientific evidence supporting this.
Current Studies on Using CBD for Different Ailments
Arthritis and Inflammation
Current findings show that CBD is a powerful anti-inflammatory that can help dogs manage arthritis. Furthermore, other cannabinoids and terpenes have actually been shown to enhance CBD (this synergy is known as the entourage effect):
- A 2020 study looking at CBD’s ability to alleviate arthritis in dogs showed that CBD reduced pain and inflammation while increasing mobility, all without significant side effects.
- Another study from 2018 examining full-spectrum CBD for canine arthritis again found that CBD oil helped dogs considerably with joint pain and inflammation without side effects.
- An excellent review from 2018 discussed a wide variety of prior human studies, concluding that CBD (and many other cannabinoids) could play key roles in regulating inflammation and pain.
As with many cannabinoids, CBD has been extensively studied for its ability to help manage pain*, with promising results thus far:
- A 2020 study found that CBD could effectively block pain via numerous methods.
- A 2017 study of synergy between CBD and THC for pain relief found that CBD was a potent painkiller that was further enhanced by a small amount of THC.
- An older 2012 study demonstrated that CBD could significantly suppress pain and chronic inflammation in distinctly different ways from many pain medications, suggesting that cannabinoids could be uniquely effective treatments in some cases.
*Most people using CBD for effective pain relief realize that it isn’t a substitute for heavy painkillers, especially after invasive surgeries. Consult your veterinarian before altering any pain management routine.
Ailments in Senior Dogs
Nearly all senior dogs experience arthritis, mental decline, and other ailments to some extent, which studies have linked to inflammation and a condition known as oxidative stress.
- Oxidative stress is a complex issue, but at the simplest level, you just need to know that it can contribute to other ailments and is best treated by natural compounds known as antioxidants.
Studies show that many terpenes and cannabinoids are powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatories (especially those showcased in our product’s lab results), which therefore could potentially help senior dogs live longer, healthier lives:
- A 2018 study showed that Dr.Hempdog’s primary terpene, caryophyllene (or b-caryophyllene), is antioxidative and anti-inflammatory.
- A 2007 study similarly found that caryophyllene and alpha-humulene are significantly anti-inflammatory.
It’s always best to eliminate the source of a dog’s anxiety or fear directly (such as by soundproofing a room against fireworks and thunder). However, if you can’t do so, studies indicate that full-spectrum CBD could be an excellent option for dogs with anxiety:
- A recent 2020 review concluded that CBD was an effective treatment for anxiety, depression, and schizophrenia.
- Another 2020 review further found that many cannabinoids and terpenes synergize to help alleviate anxiety and depression.
- A 2017 study demonstrated that, in the proper doses, CBD could significantly reduce anxiety in a variety of human subjects; these findings aligned closely with numerous prior studies that had similar results.
Many forms of epilepsy and seizures are resistant to traditional medication, yet CBD has demonstrated the ability to overcome these resistances and significantly alleviate seizures according to current findings:
- An ongoing trial of full-spectrum CBD in epileptic dogs has shown incredible results so far, as CBD dramatically reduced how frequently dogs had seizures.
- A study from 2019 demonstrated that, when used in conjunction with traditional antiepileptic treatment, CBD could notably reduce seizure frequency in dogs.
- A 2018 review found that full-spectrum CBD could potently alleviate seizures and likely was so effective due to an entourage effect with other hemp compounds.
Many cannabinoids and terpenes have shown remarkable promise for treating various forms of cancer, primarily by enhancing cancer medications*, alleviating the side-effects of chemotherapy, and directly combatting cancer growth:
- A 2020 review outlined how CBD could help treat cancer both on its own and by synergizing with other cannabinoids and cancer treatments.
- A study from 2020 demonstrated that CBD and THC alike could significantly inhibit pancreatic cancer growth and proliferation in mice models.
- A 2013 study found that full-spectrum CBD not only inhibited prostate cancer but also enhanced other anticancer medications used in conjunction.
*Veterinary oversight is essential if you’re considering using CBD alongside other anticancer medications, as research into CBD’s effects on canine cancer is still in its earliest stages.
The Verdict on CBD for Dogs
As you can clearly see, the science shows direct evidence that CBD is highly effective for the ailments discussed above. Furthermore, studies demonstrate that full-spectrum CBD products are completely safe for dogs:
- A recent 2020 study found that normal doses of full-spectrum CBD induced no notable side effects in dogs.
- Another 2020 study of full-spectrum CBD in dogs again reported no negative side effects of CBD use.
- An earlier study from 2019 again reported that full-spectrum CBD (which notably, included CBC/ CBG/ many supporting cannabinoids) caused no side effects in dogs.
We’re eager to see where the science takes us next, but with the evidence we already have, you should feel comfortable using Dr.Hempdog in your dog’s wellness routine if they suffer from one of these ailments.
If you have more questions about how to use CBD properly for your animal(s), we’re here to help. We offer free 15-minute consultations with our expert staff, which you can schedule today by visiting our website, texting us, or giving us a call at (720) 773-9595. Your dog deserves the best in life, so we encourage you to take this opportunity to learn more about how you can give them just that.